|Composition: 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 2% Malbec|
|Appellation: Sage Vineyard, Mt. Veeder & Apadana Block, Darioush Estate|
|Cooperage: Aged 20 months in 100% new Taransaud Chateau Traditional French oak barrels|
|Winemaker: Steve Devitt|
|Availability: 18 barrels ~ exclusively for First Offering members|
Darius II Cabernet Sauvignon
2008 Vintage ~ Napa Valley
The most treasured wine from the Darioush estate, Darius II Cabernet Sauvignon is a deeply personal endeavor, produced on behalf of our most enthusiastic collectors and friends. Hand–selected from several barrel lots that possess exquisite beauty and purity of character, the 2008 vintage is the first to be comprised primarily of fruit from the Sage Vineyard, atop Mount Veeder. Acquired in 2007, the 20-acre Sage estate was impeccably developed and cultivated over the last 12 years — making the 2008 release a landmark addition to the Darius II legacy.
Beautifully composed, the 2008 Darius II stands out from prior vintages for its poise and remarkable elegance considering the higher portion of robust and powerful Mount Veeder fruit. The wine's hallmark flavors of sweet black licorice, exotic spices and smoky-cocoa richness remain supported by a seamless, enticingly silky texture. Notes of dried rose petal, oolong tea and cedar add delicacy and complexity to the persistent finish.
- Meticulous attention to detail in vineyard and minimal cellar handling
- Hand-harvested into small 28 lb. baskets
- Hand-sorted twice, before and after de-stemming
- Fermentation includes cold soaking for 4 days, with gentle pump-overs and extended maceration for optimal extraction and tannin development
- Barrel lots were racked 2-3 times per year for clarity